The depth of scorching mustard varies. Begin with 1 teaspoon, then add extra by 1/2 teaspoonfuls to style. Sizzling English mustard is an efficient stand-in if Chinese language is unavailable.
- 3 red-skinned candy potatoes (yams; about 2 1/2 kilos)
- 1 teaspoon (or extra) scorching ready Chinese language mustard
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 pound Chinese language broccoli or broccoli rabe (rapini),* giant outer leaves eliminated, lower crosswise on diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 slices bacon, lower into 1-inch items
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 4 5- to 6-ounce arctic char fillets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap candy potatoes individually in foil. Roast till tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cool and peel. Puree in processor till easy. Measure 3 cups puree and switch to microwave-safe bowl. Stir in mustard. Season with salt. DO AHEAD: Will be made 1 day forward. Cowl and chill. Boil vinegar in small saucepan till decreased to ` cup, about 8 minutes. Stir in soy sauce. Take away from warmth.
- Cook dinner broccoli in pot of boiling salted water till crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain; put aside. Cook dinner bacon in medium skillet over medium warmth till edges are crisp. Switch to paper towels to empty. DO AHEAD: Discount and broccoli will be made 2 hours forward. Let stand at room temperature.
- Course of mustard seeds in spice grinder till coarsely floor. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Sprinkle floor seeds over prime of fish. Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in giant skillet over medium-high warmth. Add fish, mustard facet down, and prepare dinner till brown and simply opaque in heart, about 3 minutes per facet.
- In the meantime, rewarm puree in microwave till heated by way of. Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in one other giant skillet. Add broccoli and bacon; sauté till heated by way of. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide broccoli, fish, and puree amongst plates. Drizzle with balsamic discount and serve.
- *Chinese language broccoli can be known as gai lan or Chinese language kale; it's obtainable at Asian markets. Broccoli rabe is an Italian leafy inexperienced vegetable with scattered clusters of broccoli-like florets; you'll discover it at some supermarkets and at specialty meals shops.