Chinese language broccoli (gai lan) is at all times offered flowering, although its buds are normally nonetheless closed.
- 2 lb Chinese language broccoli, thick ends trimmed
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups polenta (not instantaneous) or yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 lb scorching Italian sausage, casings eliminated
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Lower broccoli stems diagonally into 1-inch items and coarsely chop leaves. Prepare dinner stems in a big pot of boiling salted water till simply tender, about4 minutes. Stir in leaves and cook dinner 1 minute. Drain in a colander, then rinse beneath chilly water to cease cooking. Don’t squeeze out extra water.
- Convey water with salt to a boil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan, then add polenta in a skinny stream, whisking continuously. Prepare dinner over reasonable warmth, whisking, 2 minutes. Scale back warmth to low and simmer polenta, lined, stirring for 1 minute after each 10 minutes of cooking, 45 minutes whole. Stir in butter, cream, and cheese and take away from warmth.
- Warmth oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over reasonably excessive warmth till scorching however not smoking, then sauté sausage, stirring and breaking apart meat into giant items with a spoon, till browned and cooked by way of, about 5 minutes. Switch with a slotted spoon to a plate. Scale back warmth to reasonable, then cook dinner garlic in skillet, stirring, till golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cook dinner, stirring and scraping up brown bits from backside of skillet, 2 minutes. Return sausage to skillet and toss with greens, salt, and pepper. Serve over polenta.