- 1-pound block of extra-firm tofu
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-inch chunk of contemporary ginger
- 2 tablespoons Chinese language fermented black beans
- 11/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Sherry (dry or candy)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- vegetable oil
- Rinse the tofu, then minimize crosswise into 6 slices. Put slices between a number of layers of paper towels and let drain whereas making the sauce. (You’ll probably have to exchange the paper towels at the least as soon as.)
- Prep the seasonings for the sauce: Peel the garlic cloves and the ginger, then quarter the ginger. Flip in your meals processor and drop the garlic and ginger by means of the feed tube; they’ll be minced very quickly. Cease the machine and the black beans in a small sieve till the water runs clear. Add them to the meals processor and pulse till coarsely chopped.
- For the liquid portion of the sauce, stir collectively the water, soy sauce, Sherry, maple syrup, vinegar, and the cornstarch till the cornstarch is evenly suspended. Now you’re able to cook dinner the sauce!
- Generously movie the underside of a heavy 2-quart saucepan with the vegetable oil and warmth over reasonably excessive warmth till scorching however not smoking. Stir-fry the seasonings till aromatic, lower than a minute. Stir the cornstarch combination and add it to the pan. Whisk the sauce often whereas bringing it to a boil and simmer 1 minute. Then set the sauce apart when you fry the tofu.
- Generously movie the underside of a 12-inch nonstick skillet with vegetable oil and warmth over excessive warmth till scorching however not smoking. Blot up any extra moisture on the tofu with a paper towel earlier than laying within the skillet. Fry the slices on all sides (forgo the brief ends), turning them solely when the undersides are golden and crisp, 5 to eight minutes whole. (You might have to decrease the warmth because the frying progresses.) Give the tofu one final flip on a paper towel to sop up any stray oil and reheat the sauce.
- Serve with rice and broccoli, pouring sauce over all.